Current OPEN positions
Dog Care Team Lead - Calgary
AARCS is looking for a Dog Care Team Lead to support the daily care of dogs in our facility in Calgary.
FULLTIME: Monday – Friday 7:30am-4:30pm
Start Date: Immediately
Location: AARCS Safe Haven Shelter in Calgary
ABOUT US: ALBERTA ANIMAL RESCUE CREW SOCIETY is a registered non-profit charity located in Calgary, Alberta helping over 4000 animals find loving adoptive homes each year. We also facilitate numerous community support programs helping people and pets in our community. Our mission is Changing Lives Through Kindness.
THE ROLE: The Dog Care Team Lead is the weekday team lead for animal care in the dog shelter. Caring for on average 30 dogs and puppies each day, this role is responsible for leading the team of volunteers on the morning and noon shift, Monday-Friday and ensuring the shelter is kept in a clean, sanitary and efficient manner on an ongoing basis.
ABOUT YOU: Having both a love of people and animals, you are naturally optimistic, positive, friendly, and approachable. As a natural team lead, you enjoy working, training and helping others succeed. You have the ability to work with all kinds of people with a variety of skill sets. You are confident with your dog handling skills, enjoy being active on the job, spending time with animals and take pride in a clean, sanitary and efficient space. At heart, you strive to see every animal provided with the highest quality of care and kindness during their time at the shelter. Your strengths include a positive attitude, attention to detail, teamwork and adaptability to change.
- Genuine interest in animal welfare and husbandry.
- Be comfortable handling dogs, including working with dogs that have complex behaviours.
- Maintain the highest standards of care using positive reinforcement in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to cultivate positive relationships through patience, a positive attitude and adaptability.
- Previous kennel or animal care experience will be considered an asset.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to walk, reach overhead, and lift up to 50 lbs unassisted or 75 lbs assisted from the ground.
- Work with program staff and volunteers to ensure dogs are cared for by AARCS standards, and ensuring their ongoing well being and quality of life.
- Lead shelter shifts, including delegating responsibilities and facilitating shift huddles.
- Facilitate training for new dog caregivers.
- Assist with cleaning, feeding and general animal husbandry.
- Care exclusively for dogs who have been designated as staff only.
- Administer medication to shelter dogs as prescribed by AARCS Veterinary Hospital
- Collaborate with the Dog Shelter Coordinator to ensure supplies are stocked.
- Assist with shelter intake and foster home discharges, as needed.
- Maintain shelter cleanliness as it pertains to the dog area, including but not limited too; cleaning crates, washing dishes, doing laundry, washing the floor and participating in deep cleans.
- Assist Behaviour staff, including facilitating enrichment activities, when requested.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Stakeholder Relations Manager.
- Health, Dental and Life and Disability Benefits.
- 3 weeks paid vacation, wellness days, statutory holidays and flex time.
- Continuing education perks.
- Discounted pet food, services and supplies.
- Salary Range: $35,000 – $38,000/year.
Dog Care Team Lead Job Posting
Apply Now: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter speaking directly to the requirements list with an attached resume to Rachel Cote, Stakeholder Relations Manager. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society
5060 – 74th Ave SE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
AARCS is an equal opportunity employer. We invite all suitable candidates to forward their application in confidence. We regret that only the best qualified candidates will be contacted for screening. Thank you in advance for your interest.
Animal Care + Adoptions Coordinator - Edmonton
FULL-TIME — 40 hours/week
LOCATION: AARCS North Haven
8108 Coronet Rd. NW, Edmonton, Alberta
Looking for an Animal Care & Adoptions Coordinator to support the operations of AARCS North Haven & Adoption Centre.
ABOUT US: ALBERTA ANIMAL RESCUE CREW SOCIETY (AARCS) is a registered non-profit charity with facilities in both Calgary and Edmonton dedicated to housing and caring for animals in need. AARCS is a leader in the animal welfare community, and Albertans turn to us for help. As many as 4,000 animals come through AARCS programs each and every year. We have an exceptional medical program with some of the highest standards of care in the industry. This provides us with the ability to grant second chances to thousands of homeless animals. Our Edmonton shelter and adoption centre can house approximately 75 cats and up to 20 dogs, it was designed as a quarantine and holding facility for dogs, an on-site adoption centre for cats and small animals and is a hub for our staff and volunteers in the north.
THE ROLE: Reporting to the Edmonton Operations Manager, the Animal Care & Adoptions Coordinator is responsible for ensuring animal care is held to the highest standard of excellence, as well as coordinating the adoption of cats and small animals in a timely, efficient and positive manner. This role also assists with general administrative duties, maintaining a clean and sanitary shelter, supporting volunteers and foster parents, and other duties as assigned..
ABOUT YOU: Having both a love of people and animals, you are naturally optimistic, positive, friendly, and approachable. Working with onsite volunteers and staff – you pride yourself on ensuring a clean, sanitary, organized and efficient space. You are confident with your animal handling skills. You are tech savvy to assist with entering animal files, write adoption bios, finalizing adoptions and other administrative tasks as required. You love engaging with people and are proud of the excellent levels of customer service you provide. At heart, you strive to see every animal provided with the highest quality of care during their time at the shelter. Your strengths include a positive attitude, attention to detail, teamwork and adaptability to change.
- Genuine interest in animal welfare or shelter medicine.
- Be comfortable handling cats, dogs and small animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, etc.
- Maintain the highest standards of care using positive reinforcement in a fast paced environment
- Excellent customer service through patience, a positive attitude, attention to detail and adaptability.
- Previous shelter, animal care or adoptions experience will be considered an asset.
- Ensuring the shelter is kept in a clean, sanitary and efficient manner on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to stand, sit, and/or type for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to stay focused and organized in busy environments.
- Ability to walk, reach overhead, and lift up to 50lbs unassisted or 75lbs assisted from the ground.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
Animal Care and Adoptions Coordinator
Approximate Salary Range: $16.00-$18.00 per hour
Apply Now: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to Leigh McLean at [email protected] with Animal Care & Adoptions Coordinator in the subject line. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank everyone for their interest in this position, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
P/T or F/T Registered Vet Tech
FULL TIME or PART TIME — MONDAY to FRIDAY 8am-6pm
LOCATION: AARCS Veterinary Hospital in Calgary
Tired of shift work? Feeling burnt out dealing with client demands? AARCS is looking for a kind, enthusiastic RVT to join our team where your only clients are the animals – apply today and reinvigorate your career in shelter medicine.
THE POSITION: We are looking for a full-time and part-time RVT to join our team of 12 veterinary professionals at AARCS Veterinary Hospital in Calgary. Working with our onsite Veterinarians and the Medical Team, the position is responsible for patient care of our rescued animals including dogs, cats and some small animals. The position includes assisting with surgery, anesthesia (preparation, monitoring, and recovery), dentistry, radiology, emergency medicine, pathology and laboratory sampling and handling. AARCS Veterinary hospital is a fast-paced, fun environment, which includes high volume spay/neuter surgery. Come to work every day knowing you are making a difference in the lives of once homeless animals who have been given a second chance.
- Genuine interest in animal welfare and shelter medicine.
- Registered RVT in the province of Alberta and a member in good standing with ABVMA.
- Be comfortable handling both cats and dogs. This includes feral cats and shy, timid or reactive dogs.
- Maintain the highest standard of care in a fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Confident and diligent in surgical preparation, patient monitoring and recovery for various surgical procedures.
- Exceptional patient care and good understanding of infectious disease, surgery, radiology (digital and dental), dentistry, emergency medicine, laboratory sampling and handling.
- Highly developed cooperation, collaboration and problem-solving skills.
- Generous Health, Dental and LIfe and Disability Benefits
- Statutory holidays and flex time.
- Discounted pet care, food and supplies.
- CE allowances and license fees covered.
- No evenings, weekends or shift work.
- Free parking.
- Hourly Range: $18-$25/hour based on experience
ABOUT US: ALBERTA ANIMAL RESCUE CREW SOCIETY is a registered non-profit charity based in Calgary, Alberta with a second shelter in Edmonton, Alberta. At AARCS we are passionate about animals, but at the heart of our organization is people. Our mission is Changing Lives Through Kindness. AARCS Safe Haven is a busy animal shelter with an onsite veterinary hospital for our animals and is the hub from which our Calgary staff and volunteers work. North Haven is a shelter and cat adoption center and is the hub for our Edmonton staff and volunteers. These facilities facilitate intake, assessment, care and adoption for thousands of animals every year. All shelter and foster home supplies are stored at and distributed from these facilities and we receive a variety of physical supply donations, big and small every day.
Download Job Posting – RVT (2022)
APPLY NOW: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume via email to Amy Corpe, Clinic Manager at [email protected] with RVT Application in the subject line. We are seeking a candidate to start as soon as possible and will be hosting interviews as resumes come in. The job posting will remain open until a suitable candidate can be found. AARCS is an equal opportunity employer. We invite all suitable candidates to forward their application in confidence. Thank you in advance for your interest.
Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society
5060 – 74th Ave SE, Calgary, Alberta
IF THESE POSITIONS DO NOT APPLY TO YOU, Please consider becoming a Volunteer or a Foster Home
LOCUM + VOLUNTEER VETS + RVTS
Locum and Volunteer VETERINARIANS + RVTS
Clinic Hours MONDAY to FRIDAY 8am-6pm
ABOUT YOU: Are you an experienced and enthusiastic VETERINARIAN or VET TECH? Have you been looking for an opportunity in shelter medicine? Then we’re looking for you!
We are seeking locum and volunteer veterinarians and registered veterinary technologists for our Safe Haven Shelter in Calgary, Alberta.
- You are a confident surgeon or technologist.
- You are willing and eager to do a number of physical exams.
- You are able and willing to work in a fast-paced environment.
- You have a love for animals and a good understanding of shelter medicine.
- You are positive, friendly and approachable.
If this sounds like you, email: [email protected] today!