Current OPEN positions
F/T Cat Program Manager
Looking for an enthusiastic leader and cat lover to oversee the AARCS Cat Program in Calgary.
LOCATION: AARCS Safe Haven Shelter in Calgary, 5060 – 74 Ave SE, Calgary
FULL-TIME PERMANENT POSITION
Monday – Friday
THE POSITION: The Cat Program Manager is an emotionally resilient leader with the strong ability to build relationships and adapt to an ever-changing environment. You have a love of people as well as animals and are outgoing, confident, and naturally optimistic. Managing a team of staff and volunteers, you are responsible for ensuring the program and its people work cohesively and efficiently while providing support, guidance and feedback. You have a natural ability to work with others and are friendly, approachable and able to provide exceptional service to others while remaining open minded and non-judgmental. Having a strong understanding of cats, their behavior and medical needs is important in facilitating second chances for homeless cats in our community.
You have no problem stepping up to help your fellow volunteers care for the cats or join the executive team in strategic planning. You love problem-solving and have a holistic approach to finding solutions to complex problems. You take great personal satisfaction in your relationships with key stakeholders, including your staff, volunteers, foster homes, co-workers and rescue partners. Your lifestyle allows you to regularly and consistently maintain a flexible schedule. You are able to work some evenings and weekends when needed to accommodate the needs of the organization. Your strengths include above average conflict resolution, effective organizational and time management skills as well as the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Oversee the Cat Program in its entirety including Cat Intake and Adoptions, TNR (Trap-Neuter -Return) Program, Spay Neuter Assistance Program, Barn Buddies Program, and Pet Store Partnerships, and off-site adoption facilities.
- Manage the intake of cats through AARCS shelter in Calgary and work closely with AARCS Edmonton North Haven location for placement of cats for adoption.
- Manage the Cat Program staff and volunteer? coordinators ensuring they have the training, knowledge, and supplies they need to be effective in their positions and provide support as needed.
- Ensure the cat shelter operates efficiently to provide optimal care for the cats including quarantine, disease prevention, and enrichment for the safety of staff and animals.
- Develop and maintain appropriate forms, records, waivers and statistics; prepare regular reports and analysis for the Executive Director.
- Maintain supplies for the shelter and foster homes by purchasing supplies and seeking out donations.
- Identify, create and implement opportunities for improving methods and procedures, including cost reduction strategies.
- Plan and coordinate the activities of the cat programs by actively engaging with staff, volunteers and the public to ensure the programs’ goals are achieved.
- Work with community partners to develop and maintain ongoing partnerships.
- Help adopters and the general public with questions and concerns related to rehoming, behavior and medical.
ABOUT YOU: With a love for animals and people, you are naturally optimistic, positive, friendly and approachable. Your strengths include leadership, teamwork, adaptability, conflict resolution and attention to detail. You are always looking for ways to improve with the ability to problem solve and thrive while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Genuine interest in animal welfare with a good understanding of cats and their behavior.
- Managerial experience overseeing staff/volunteers.
- Highly motivated self-starter with impressive organizational, time management and attention to detail skills requiring minimal supervision.
- Customer service experience with a fierce ability to develop positive rapport with diverse people from different backgrounds and varied personalities.
- Cat handling experience required; including ability or willingness to work with feral cats and under socialized cats.
- Ability to walk, reach overhead and lift up to 50lbs.
- Highly developed cooperation, collaboration and problem-solving skills and the ability to set priorities.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Flexible schedule with ability to work some days from home.
Health, Dental and Life and Disability Benefits.
3 weeks paid vacation, statutory holidays and flex time.
Eligible for unlimited vacation after 4 years of service.
Continuing Education perks.
Discounted pet food, services and supplies.
Salary Range: $45,000-$53,000/year
ABOUT US: ALBERTA ANIMAL RESCUE CREW SOCIETY is a registered non-profit charity based in Calgary, Alberta with a second shelter in Edmonton, Alberta. At AARCS, we are passionate about animals, but at the heart of our organization is people. Our mission is Changing Lives Through Kindness. AARCS Safe Haven is a busy animal shelter with an onsite veterinary hospital for our animals and is the hub from which our Calgary staff and volunteers work. North Haven is a shelter and cat adoption center and is the hub for our Edmonton staff and volunteers. These facilities facilitate intake, assessment, care and adoption for thousands of animals every year.
Apply Now: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume via email firstname.lastname@example.org with Cat Program Manager Application in the subject line. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. AARCS is an equal opportunity employer. We invite all suitable candidates to forward their application in confidence. We regret that only the best-qualified candidates will be contacted for screening. Thank you in advance for your interest.
AARCS is an equal opportunity employer. We invite all suitable candidates to forward their application in confidence. We regret that only the best-qualified candidates will be contacted for screening. Thank you in advance for your interest.
P/T or F/T Registered Veterinary Technician
FULL TIME or PART TIME — MONDAY to FRIDAY 8am-6pm
LOCATION: AARCS Safe Haven Shelter in Calgary
Tired of shift work? Feeling burnt out dealing with client demands? AARCS is looking for a kind, enthusiastic RVT to join our team where your only clients are the animals – apply today and reinvigorate your career in shelter medicine.
THE POSITION: We are looking for a full-time and part-time RVT to join our team of 12 veterinary professionals at AARCS Veterinary Hospital in Calgary. Working with our onsite Veterinarians and the Medical Team, the position is responsible for patient care of our rescued animals including dogs, cats and some small animals. The position includes assisting with surgery, anesthesia (preparation, monitoring, and recovery), dentistry, radiology, emergency medicine, pathology and laboratory sampling and handling. AARCS Veterinary hospital is a fast-paced, fun environment, which includes high volume spay/neuter surgery. Come to work every day knowing you are making a difference in the lives of once homeless animals who have been given a second chance.
- Genuine interest in animal welfare and shelter medicine.
- Registered RVT in the province of Alberta and a member in good standing with ABVMA.
- Be comfortable handling both cats and dogs. This includes feral cats and shy, timid or reactive dogs.
- Maintain the highest standard of care in a fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Confident and diligent in surgical preparation, patient monitoring and recovery for various surgical procedures.
- Exceptional patient care and good understanding of infectious disease, surgery, radiology (digital and dental), dentistry, emergency medicine, laboratory sampling and handling.
- Highly developed cooperation, collaboration and problem-solving skills.
- Generous Health, Dental and LIfe and Disability Benefits
- Statutory holidays and flex time.
- Discounted pet care, food and supplies.
- CE allowances and license fees covered.
- No evenings, weekends or shift work.
- Free parking.
- Hourly Range: $18-$25/hour based on experience
ABOUT US: ALBERTA ANIMAL RESCUE CREW SOCIETY is a registered non-profit charity based in Calgary, Alberta with a second shelter in Edmonton, Alberta. At AARCS we are passionate about animals, but at the heart of our organization is people. Our mission is Changing Lives Through Kindness. AARCS Safe Haven is a busy animal shelter with an onsite veterinary hospital for our animals and is the hub from which our Calgary staff and volunteers work. North Haven is a shelter and cat adoption center and is the hub for our Edmonton staff and volunteers. These facilities facilitate intake, assessment, care and adoption for thousands of animals every year. All shelter and foster home supplies are stored at and distributed from these facilities and we receive a variety of physical supply donations, big and small every day.
APPLY NOW: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume via email to Amy Corpe, Clinic Manager at [email protected] with RVT Application in the subject line. We are seeking a candidate to start as soon as possible and will be hosting interviews as resumes come in. The job posting will remain open until a suitable candidate can be found. AARCS is an equal opportunity employer. We invite all suitable candidates to forward their application in confidence. Thank you in advance for your interest.
Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society
5060 – 74th Ave SE, Calgary, Alberta
LOCUM + VOLUNTEER VETS
Locum and Volunteer VETERINARIANS
ABOUT YOU: Are you an experienced and enthusiastic VETERINARIAN? Have you been looking for an opportunity in shelter medicine? Then we’re looking for you!
We are seeking locum and volunteer veterinarians for our Safe Haven Shelter in Calgary, Alberta.
- You are a confident surgeon.
- You are willing and eager to do a number of physical exams.
- You are able and willing to work in a fast-paced environment.
- You have a love for animals and a good understanding of shelter medicine.
- You are positive, friendly and approachable.
If this sounds like you, email: [email protected] today!