September 2020 available positions
Registered Veterinary Technician
FULL TIME — MONDAY to FRIDAY — Permanent
LOCATION: AARCS Safe Haven Shelter in Calgary
HOURS: 40 hours per week
ABOUT US: ALBERTA ANIMAL RESCUE CREW SOCIETY is a registered non-profit charity located in Calgary, Alberta facilitating over 3,000 animal adoptions each year. Our mission is Changing Lives Through Kindness. AARCS Veterinary Hospital is a fast-paced, high volume clinic designed specifically for homeless animals in our care. We are not open to the public. Our aim is to ensure AARCS animals are provided with the highest standard of humane medical care and treatment. The clinic is fully equipped including, digital and dental x-ray, two surgery suites, isolation, pharmacy and laboratory. We perform a variety of treatments on a daily basis, including routine care, emergency medicine and surgery, such as spay/neuter, ortho, dentistry. Our medical department works closely to provide a holistic approach to shelter management, animal care and adoption.
ABOUT YOU: An RVT, preferably with five+ years experience and a genuine interest in animal welfare. Having both a love of people and animals, you are naturally optimistic, positive, friendly, and approachable. Working with on-site Veterinarians and the Medical Team, you pride yourself on exceptional patient care and are confident in surgery and anesthesia (preparation, monitoring, and recovery), dentistry, radiology, emergency medicine, pathology and laboratory sampling and handling. You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, including high volume surgery and hospitalization and isolation for infectious disease. You have highly developed cooperation, collaboration and problem-solving skills to handle large-volume medical case management. Your love of animals extends to shy, reactive and feral animals in which you can handle with confidence and care. At heart, you strive to see every animal provided with the highest quality medical care. Your strengths include impeccable medical records, teamwork and adaptability to change.
- Genuine interest in animal welfare and shelter medicine.
- Registered RVT in the province of Alberta and a member in good standing with ABVMA.
- Preferred minimum of 5 years experience.
- Be comfortable handling both cats and dogs. This includes feral cats and shy, timid or reactive dogs.
- Maintain the highest standard of care in a fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Confident and diligent in surgical preparation, patient monitoring and recovery for various surgical procedures.
- Confident in surgery, radiology (digital and dental), dentistry, emergency medicine, laboratory sampling and handling, exceptional patient care and good understanding of infectious disease.
- Highly developed cooperation, collaboration and problem-solving skills with ability to manage large medical case load.
APPLY NOW: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume via email to Deanna Thompson, Executive Director at [email protected] with RVT Application in the subject line. We are seeking a candidate to start as soon as possible and will be hosting interviews as resumes come in. The job posting will remain open until a suitable candidate can be found. AARCS is an equal opportunity employer. We invite all suitable candidates to forward their application in confidence. Thank you in advance for your interest.
North Haven Animal Care Attendant
FULL TIME — Temporary
LOCATION: AARCS North Haven Shelter in Edmonton, Alberta
HOURS: 35 hours per week
ABOUT US: ALBERTA ANIMAL RESCUE CREW SOCIETY is a registered non-profit charity facilitating over 3,500 animal adoptions each year throughout the province of Alberta. We are excited to be opening an animal shelter and adoption centre in Edmonton. The new facility will house upwards of 100 cats and small animals for adoption and a holding facility for new dog intake, supply and donation centre, and an office and meeting place for our northern volunteers. Dubbed North Haven, the facility in Edmonton is set to open in October 2020 and we are looking to add valued members of the AARCS team to assist in operating the facility.
These positions are funded by HRSDC Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program and candidates must meet the Canada Summer Jobs requirements. We are recruiting for two reliable Animal Care Attendants. This is a temporary full-time position (8 weeks) and has the possibility of full-time permanent employment at the end of the program. Responsibilities of this role include, but not limited to, caring for the animals, facilitating adoptions, assisting with maintenance of the facility, all which directly contributes to the efficient operations of North Haven. This position will work closely with AARCS volunteers and staff and provide excellent customer service to the public.
ABOUT YOU: Having both a love of people and animals, you are naturally optimistic, positive, friendly, and approachable. Working with on-site volunteers and staff you pride yourself on ensuring a clean, sanitary and efficient space. You are confident in your animal handling skill and your love of animals extends to shy, reactive and feral animals in which you can handle with confidence and care. You are tech savvy to assist with entering animal files, write adoption bios and doing some photography. You are happy to facility adoption matching discussions with the public and assist the Operations Manager with volunteer coordination and training. At heart, you strive to see every animal provided with the highest quality care during their time at the shelter. Your strengths include a positive attitude, attention to detail, teamwork and adaptability to change.
- Genuine interest in animal welfare and shelter medicine.
- Must be between 15-30 years of age at the start of employment.
- Valid Alberta Driver’s License.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of employment; and,
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Be comfortable handling both cats and dogs.
- Maintain the highest standard of care using positive reinforcement in a fast-paced environment.
- Previous kennel or animal care experience will be considered an asset.
- Proficiency in use of computers, including word processing and database management.
- Self-motivated; Has the ability to set priorities and manage workloads with minimal supervision.
- Strong desire to provide excellent customer service through patience, a positive attitude, attention to detail and adaptability.
- Shelter environment with a moderate to loud noise level
- May on occasion involve exposure or working with dangerous and/or diseased animals.
- Required to work evenings, weekends, coverage, and flex days.
- Position is physically demanding and includes heavy lifting, pushing, and pulling.
- Candidates must be able to lift up to 50lbs on their own, or 75lbs assisted.
APPLY NOW: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume via email to Jamey Blair, Edmonton Operations Manager, at [email protected] with Animal Care Attendant in the subject line. The job posting will remain open until suitable candidates can be found. AARCS is an equal opportunity employer. We invite all suitable candidates to forward their application in confidence. Thank you in advance for your interest.
LOCUM and VOLUNTEER VETERINARIANS
Locum and Volunteer VETERINARIANS
ABOUT YOU: Are you an experienced and enthusiastic VETERINARIAN? Have you been looking for an opportunity in shelter medicine? Then we’re looking for you!
We are seeking locum and volunteer veterinarians for our Safe Haven Shelter in Calgary, Alberta.
- You are a confident surgeon.
- You are willing and eager to do a number of physical exams.
- You are able and willing to work in a fast-paced environment.
- You have a love for animals and a good understanding of shelter medicine.
- You are positive, friendly and approachable.
If this sounds like you, email: [email protected] today!