WAGS 2 WISHES // Featured Fido
✦ MEET PEELER $75 Adoption Fee ✦
located in Calgary
Photos courtesy of Inga Morozoff Photography
“Hi new friends! I’m Big Al, but you might know me as Peeler. You may have seen the story of when I was rescued on the AARCS’ social media pages…I think I might be a little bit famous! Boy, oh boy, am I a joy to be around! I had a pretty rough start to life (and I’m about five now!) but now that I’m settled in a safe, warm home I am showing off all the amazing things about my personality! For your convenience, I’ve put together a list of all the important things I want you to know about me. You ready?!?
MY DREAM FAMILY:
· A patient, kind and experienced family willing to go slow with me. Positive reinforcement is must!
· Things like new surfaces, strange hallways and dark basements can look strange to me. Understand that I need time to get used to the world!
· I would love another dog, however, they must be tolerant, and ready to play with my big size
· Continued training – I am still learning to walk nicely on leash, though, I now love exploring!
· Older kids (14+) only! This is because I am big, and sometimes when I get excited, I like to jump up! I’m learning humans don’t always appreciate my greetings that way!
· A home with no cats – because like most small fuzzy things, they are just looking to be chased
· A house with a yard. I love playing outside and getting the zoomies! And, a yard is a really great place to work on my training
· I like chew toys, car rides, and am happy and content to be left alone at home all day. But I can’t wait for you to get home!
· My hoomans are the BEST! I have so much fun with them and love to follow them around and give them lots of snuggles and hugs so they don’t forget how much I love them. It’s true – I love most people, but I do sometimes have what you hoomans call “stranger danger” so I am looking for a family who is willing to work on that.
· Dogs! Sometimes I like dogs. Sometimes I don’t. They say I come off a bit rude from time to time and need ‘slow and proper’ introductions. Boring!
· Feeling safe and loved
· A good chew toy
· Offering you an excellent sit and wait upon request
· Excitedly bouncing up and down when you get home and bounding toward you when you call my name or say “come!”
· Although I love it when my family/pack is around, I am a perfect angel when left home alone (with free run of the house). As long as you leave me a treat – in the form of some peanut butter in a Kong, I am super content and may even be found snoozing on the couch
· Being completely house trained. I’m also working on being crate-trained, too! I will even go in there sometimes on my own now.
· Positive, kind and patient training
· Car rides are amazing! I sit in the back seat and am very well behaved.
· Cats. Well, it isn’t so much that I don’t like them, but I’m a little *too* interested in them when they are in my space. No kitties for me!
· Walking nicely (not pulling) when on a leash. I am told that I have made huge improvements in this area but still have a way to go. There are times when I pick up a scent or see something that interests me and I just really want to go in that direction! I find squirrels interesting but bunnies are my kryptonite so my foster family got me my very own bunny toy (which I love)
· Dogs in my space when I’m trying to eat my dinner. I was so hungry for sooo long, that I can be a little temperamental about this. However, I only really get grumpy about “sharing” at mealtime. I’m perfectly good about this when it comes to treats! Don’t worry though, my foster family and some nice dog trainers are helping me get over this.
I’m a big, strong boy with an even bigger heart, just looking for a family to love! If you are a family with no cats, small critters, or small kiddos, and are comfortable with helping me understand the world is a safe place, I bet you I will not be a decision you’ll regret! If you think we are ready to take on this world together, come and meet me today!” – XO Peeler AKA Big Al
Good with Cats?
NO CATS PLEASE!
Good with Dogs?
Only tested with Larger Breed Dogs
Good with Kids?
Not tested with kids, but we recommend only kids over the age of 14 please.
Does this Animal have Special Needs?
Yes, Behavioral Special Needs
Al is suitable for an experienced family. He has some quirks that he needs some help with.