Frequently Asked Questions


What is AARCS?

AARCS is made up of a large network of volunteers, foster homes and animal lovers.  We are a non-profit animal rescue organization dedicated to making a difference in the lives of animals in our community.

Where does AARCS get funding?

We rely on donations from the public, corporations, fundraising events, and adoptions fees.

Where do you rescue the animals?

Our focus is to rescue small animals (cats and dogs) from rural communities in Alberta that have limited animal services.  At the discretion of the intake committee and when space in our program allows, we will take surrendered animals or transfer animals into our program from other shelters.

Who cares for the animals?

Our animals come through our shelter in SE Calgary where they are quarantined prior to being placed in our foster program with very loving volunteer families.  Our animals receive veterinary care from a number of veterinary clinics in and around Calgary.

Will you take my pet that I need to surrender?

Our mandate is to rescue stray and abandoned animals where animal services are limited.  Pets in urban areas have a number of other facilities available to help with re-homing surrendered pets.

If you need to re-home your pet for any reason here are a few suggestions to try:

  • Always remember to carefully screen possible applicants coming to see your pet.  Ask lots of questions and make sure they spend some time with the animal to get a good idea of their true personality and request a small fee.  Be fair and honest and disclose personality traits or habits, which can be considered undesirable.
  • Be responsible – Always have your pet spayed/neutered prior to re-homing to ensure it is not used for breeding.  If you have any doubts thank them for their time and move on to the next qualified applicant. Whenever possible leave yourself as much time as possible to re-home your pet to ensure a proper placement.

What do I do if I find or rescue an animal?

If you find an animal in the City of Calgary city limits he/she needs to go to Calgary Animal Services located on 2201 Portland Street SE, Calgary.  Or you can call 311.

Please remember, if you find an animal, never assume it is a stray and keep it or try to find the owners yourself.  It is important they are turned into the local authorities, as that is where their owners will be looking for them. You can ask for a reference number and to be called if the owners do not claim their pet.  If you are unable to get to Calgary Animal Services or they are closed, you can contact your local veterinary office for assistance.

AARCS is unable to accept found animals within the City of Calgary.

How does the adoption process work?

Please see our adoption policies and procedures for a more in-depth explanation.

If I’m under 18 can I still help?

A number of our volunteer positions are for people over 18 years of age but we do have other suitable positions for minors, provided they have parental permission.  We also offer a reduced rate for membership for anyone under the age of 18.

How do I become a Foster Family?

Please see our foster page for more information on how to become a foster family today!

How do I become a Volunteer?

Please see our volunteer page for more information on how to become a volunteer today!

How do I make a donation?

Please see our donations page for more information.  We greatly appreciate your support! AARCS is registered charity and provides valuable tax receipts for all donations over $20.