HIRING: Registered Veterinary Technologist
18-month Temporary Contract Position
Full-time (40 hrs/week)
Looking for an enthusiastic new graduate RVT interested in working in a fast-paced shelter clinic.
ABOUT US: ALBERTA ANIMAL RESCUE CREW SOCIETY is a registered non-profit charity located in Calgary, Alberta facilitating over 3,000 animal intakes each year and providing numerous community support programs across the province, including Disaster Response, Emergency Medical Care, Emergency Foster Care, and Spay/Neuter Assistance Program. Our mission is Changing Lives Through Kindness. We are looking for a new graduate RVT to join our clinic team to cover a 18-month maternity position. We are looking for an enthusiastic team player to join AARCS veterinary clinic.
ABOUT YOU: Assisting the lead RVTs, veterinarians, staff and volunteers you will provide exceptional patient care and are confident and willing to learn all aspects of shelter medicine including surgery (preparation, monitoring, and recovery), dentistry, radiology (digital and dental), emergency medicine, laboratory sampling and handling. You have both a love for animals and a deep willingness to learn and be a part of a fast-paced, high energy, busy shelter clinic. You are positive, friendly, and a team player.
- Handling shelter/foster animals (primarily cats, dogs and rabbits), including physical examinations, diagnostics, medical rounds and treatments under the direction of the Veterinarian.
- Assist with high volume surgical preparation, monitoring and recovery for shelter/foster animals with high level of proficiency and care.
- Provide patient care for emergency and hospitalized animals including animals in isolation for infectious disease.
- Assist in scheduling animals for surgery, examination, and rechecks, answering the clinic phone and assisting in entering medical files into the database.
- Work collaboratively with all veterinarians, RVT’s, TA’s and volunteers.
- Uphold the highest level of Disease Management and Prevention in correspondence to AARCS Protocols.
- Maximize the use of clinic resources to ensure the highest standard of care at a minimum cost.
- Husbandry duties including disinfecting kennels, washing floors, laundry, and dishes.
- Sterilization and wrap packing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Genuine interest in animal welfare and shelter medicine.
- Registered RVT in the province of Alberta and member in good standing with ABVMA.
- Be comfortable handling both cats and dogs. This includes feral cats and shy, timid or reactive dogs.
- Veterinary Clinic environment within a busy animal shelter with a moderate to loud noise level. The position may involve exposure to dangerous and/or diseased animals.
- Position requires to be on your feet all day, including standing for long periods of time. Must be able to lift 50lbs solo and up to 120lbs assisted.
Apply Now: Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter speaking directly to the requirements list with an attached resume to Deanna Thompson, Executive Director before December 2nd, 2019. Please ensure the subject line in your email states: RVT Application.
Submit your application by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
AARCS is an equal opportunity employer. We invite all suitable candidates to forward their application in confidence. We regret that only the best-qualified candidates will be contacted for screening. Thank you in advance for your interest.
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION: